0

My Never Ending Saga with HSBC

Posted by abie on 12:34 AM in ,
After the hacking incident with my HSBC credit card which I posted here, I have been very vigilant in using my credit card especially when doing online transactions. Actually I haven’t used my credit card to purchase anything online ever since my credit card has been hacked. I am also thinking of getting RFID blocking as I also heard about e pickpocketing and how easy it is to obtain credit card information.

It has been 20 days since I learned about the hacking incident with my HSBC account. I was informed that I have to fax a dispute form before they can start with the investigation:

Jan 7 – I received a text from HSBC informing me about the suspicious transaction on my credit card. I called them and I was informed that around P47,000 has been charged to my account from an online insurance site in UK. I gave them a call to inform them that I did not authorize the transaction. They canceled my existing card for protection and they will send a replacement card.
Jan 9 – I called HSBC again and the payment has been posted already and it is from the website Swiftcover.com. I emailed the merchant to request for an investigation for the transaction charged to my credit card. I gave them my credit card details and informed them that I did not authorize the transaction.
Jan 10 – I faxed the dispute form together with the photocopy of the front and back image of my credit card.
Jan 11 – I got a reply from Swiftcover:

===
Dear Ms Ramos-Laguerta,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, we are unable to locate a payment from the details provided.

Please request your card issuer to chargeback the funds in question in order for you to obtain your funds again as quickly as possible.

If you have any further questions relating to this, The Policy Validation Team are available between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday on 0871 231 1005. Calls will be charged at 10p per minute from BT landlines. Calls from other networks or from outside the UK may vary.

Yours sincerely

Christopher Porteous

Policy Validation Team
Swiftcover.com

===
So I faxed the dispute form again together with the print out of the email that I got from the merchant.

Jan 14 – I called the HSBC call center again to confirm if they receive the first two faxes that I sent as I was informed that I have to wait for three business days before they can confirm receipt of my fax. After faxing the documents and the form two times, I was surprised to learn that they still can’t confirm receipt of my fax and they requested me to fax it again to another number

Jan 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 – I called them everyday to check if they can confirm already that they receive my fax as the investigation is still not starting without my signed dispute form. Lo and behold, after 11 days, they still can’t confirm the receipt of my fax. I went to HSBC office to try if I can talk to somebody who can help me get my fax to the Dispute Services and I was surprised when the only thing that they offered me there was to fax my forms to Dispute Services again and I will have to follow it up with the Call Center after three banking days.

Jan 24, 25, 26 – I called the HSBC Call Center again and they were telling me that it is still within the allowed turn around time (which is 3 banking days) so they asked me to wait again. I was already irritated and I was really worried that my complain will not go anywhere as they can’t even confirm the receipt of a simple fax so how can I expect them that they will do something about my complain

Jan 27 - after almost three weeks, they finally confirmed that they got my fax and that the investigation will start already but it will take 45 – 120 days before I can get the result of the investigation.

Honestly, I am not hoping that this will get resolved soon or if this will get resolved at all. I am a good HSBC client. I pay all my dues in full and on time but there is no way that I will pay something that I did not authorize and I did not purchase. So I know this is like wishing for the impossible, but I hope they will reverse the transaction and credit the money back to my account even if it will take them 100 years.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 howell & abie All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.